GEMS Public School Guntur is conveniently located at RTPDK Township, Kantheru, NH-5, Opp. Acharya Nagarjuna University, Nagarjuna Nagar, Guntur, India.
1. How is GEMS different from other international schools?
GEMS runs international schools around the globe that set a benchmark for quality education today and shape the future of learning for the next generation. We nurture excellence and are known around the globe for our-
- excellence in education.
- focus on high quality teaching and learning, a broad and rich curriculum, diverse extra-curricular opportunities and a supportive guidance programme.
- teaching methodology which revolves around helping your child discover his/her innate potential to excel in academics.
- a caring and progressive community built on trust, transparency and hard work.
At GEMS, we discover and nurture each child’s natural talents and intelligence to help them achieve their full potential, through our 5 unique pillars of schooling.
- Academic Excellence : Nurturing students to achieve academic excellence through innovative teaching methods.
- Best-in-Class Infrastructure:
World-class infrastructure to support academic and co-curricular activities.
- Personal Attention:
Expert and experienced teachers who provide personal attention to each student.
- Safe Campus:
Ensuring the safety of every child through comprehensive security measures.
- Holistic Development
Learning beyond classrooms through extra-curricular activities for all-round development.
2. How is GEMS’ better than other schools?
- Best Infrastructure
- Distinctive curriculum and teaching methodology as per global standards
- Qualified, experiences, effective and responsive staff
- Value add learning embedded in study schedule
- Special Talent Encouragement Programme for Sports and other activities
- Safe and secure campus
3. What curriculum does the school follow?
We prepare our students for the ICSE examination. We integrate the best practices/ methodologies while delivering the curriculum.
4. Till which grade the school is available?
Currently we have students studying from Pre-K to Grade 10
5. What are the timings for the school?
|Summer||Pre Primary||8.30 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.|
|Primary, Middle & Senior||8.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.|
|Winter||Pre Primary||9.00 a.m. to 1.30 p.m.|
|Primary, Middle & Senior||9.00 a.m. to 3.30 p.m.|
6. Does the school have boarding (residential) facilities?
No, we don’t have residential facilities.
7. Do I need an appointment to visit the School?
You don’t need an appointment to visit the School for admission; You can walk in anytime between 9 am and 5 pm.
8. What were the school’s results in the last year?
In the ICSE 2019 examination our first batch of grade X students achieved remarkable success.
9. Will you be upgrading to Senior Secondary?
Yes, every year we will be adding one class till the school has senior secondary.
10. Do you converse in English with the child?
Yes. It is mandatory for all to speak in English at all times except when you are teaching them a different language in the class i.e. Hindi/French
11. What is the teacher student ratio in the school?
It is 1:12.
12. What teaching methodologies do you use for EYP/Pre Primary?
- Designed for the 21st century learner
- Child centered approach
- Acquiring skills across the Key Learning areas (based on the EYFS, Reggio Emilia, Montessori and Lev Vygotsky
EYFS – The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) sets standards for the learning, development and care of children from birth to 5 years old.
The Reggio Emilia philosophy is based upon the following set of principles:
- Children must have some control over the direction of their learning
- Children must be able to learn through experiences of touching, moving, listening, and observing
- Parent involvement is an integral part of this approach
Montessori Approach: Emphasis on independence, freedom within limits, and respect for a child’s natural psychological, physical, and social development.
Lev Vygotsky – His approach talks about cognitive development and how social interactions help develop our cognitive skills.
Early Years learning experiences are planned across 7 KLA’s:
- Personal, Social & Emotional Development
- Communication and Language
- Understanding the World
- Physical Development
- Expressive Arts & Design
13. What are the learning resources used for EYP/Pre Primary?
- In house Gems Kits specially designed for children
- Science Math and Language kits for each child
- Montessori materials
14. How’s your EYP section better as compared to other schools?
- Child centered approach
- Hands on learning
- Individual learning kits for each child
- Differential learning
- Overall infrastructure
- Child Teacher Ratio – 2 teachers + 1 nanny per class/section
15. Is there a policy for offering admissions to siblings of students in school?
Yes, siblings are given preference depending on the availability of a seat. Fee discount is also given.
16. What is the admission process?
Below are the steps:
- Filling up the enquiry form
- Briefing parents about the school & the fee structure
- Encouraging them to pick an application kit and blocking the seat by paying blocking amount
- App fee+ registration fee+ blocking amount will be paid at the accounts counter.
- Any fee discounts made should be mentioned on the application form with signature.
17. What is the fee structure?
Kindly connect with the admissions team for details.
18. What is the age criterion for admissions?
Pre KG: Minimum Age should be 2+ as on 31.03.2020
KG 1: Minimum Age should be 3+ as on 31.03.2020
KG 2: Minimum Age should be 4+ as on 31.03.2020
Grade 1: Minimum Age should be 5+ as on 31.03.2020
19. Do you accept student applicants from other educational systems?
Yes, we do. Only for admission to grade X and XII we have to seek special permission from the ICSE.
20. How will I pay the registration fees?
This can be paid at the accounts counter by cash or card.
21. Is the Registration fee refundable?
22. When do I have to pay the school tuition fees?
Tuition fee is paid in 3 terms:
The printed school fee structure will provide you the breakup of the fee in percentage. Refer to that for more details.
23. Is there any discount in your fees? (academic + tuition)
The school accounts team will explain all applicable discounts and benefits.
24. Can my child join school late as long I have paid the fees?
Yes, but there needs to be a relevant genuine reason for it and you’ll have to give an application stating that for permission.
25. What is the school’s policy for refunds of deposits if a child is leaving the school?
We follow a No Refund policy.
26. Is it possible to sit in a classroom or meet with a teacher, counsellor or the principal while visiting the school?
Yes, you can meet the Principal/Counsellor but with prior appointment so that it’s convenient for all concerned.
27. Is there a school uniform?
Yes. We have a summer and winter uniform. You can see samples of the same during your visit to the school.
28. Does the school have provision for hot meals and snacks for the students?
No. Currently meal facility is not available at school.
29. What is the HW policy?
Math and English HW is assigned daily; for other subjects we have a HW time table and is assigned as per that.
30. Which publishers’ textbooks do you follow?
We follow Eduvate books for our students till Grade 5 which are in-house and customized for the needs of our students. We don’t subscribe to a publisher but the relevance of the book and its content.
31. Do you charge anything extra for Sports day, Annual day, School excursions etc.?
We do not charge anything extra as all of it is inclusive in the fee structure except for charging actual cost for school excursions or specific dress/costume for a particular event in which your ward may be participating.
32. Does the school have buses for students?
Yes, we run buses for picking/dropping students on designated routes.
33. Does the school offer after school activities?
Yes, we do offer after school activities and also over the weekend but which ones we initiate depends on the number of students opting for it.
34. How skilled are the teachers?
All teachers are qualified as per the norms and experienced. We have a rigorous system of recruitment wherein after short listing the candidates for any vacancy a written test, interview with subject expert and thereafter with the Principal is conducted.
35. Does the school encourage teachers to undergo periodic Professional Development to keep themselves abreast of the latest methods of teaching and learning?
Yes, we have an in-house training department wherein F2F and online trainings are conducted at regular intervals as per the need analysis. We also conduct monthly teachers test in the specific subject/activity the teacher’s taking to assess the need of training.
36. Do children go on field trips or visits to local museums?
Yes. We even send our students on exchange programs to other countries.
37. What is the school’s policy on punishment?
No physical/corporal punishment is allowed and we believe that no one has the right to ridicule/humiliate any student. We are sticklers for discipline in conduct and decorum which we practice by inculcating values in our students; also by being exemplary to set standards for them.
38. What is the school’s system of surveillance, background checks and chaperones to ensure safety of the child?
Safety and security of our students is of utmost concern to us.
The complete school is under CCTV surveillance; police verification is done of all employees; a code of conduct is defined for all employees; sessions are conducted for all on POCSO, Good Touch Bad Touch along with First Aid training; breath analyzer is conducted for all drivers/conductors every day i.e. when they arrive, when they come back after dropping the students and when they have to go for dropping the students.
No unauthorized person is allowed in the school premises. Only authorized person is allowed to pick up students from school.
A Safety Committee is also elected every year which also has one parent from each class along with members from the School who meet at least once a quarter and inspect the school safety measures at regular intervals.
39. How are children assessed?
We only have weekly tests till grade 4 which are conducted every Monday. The students are assessed from what has been done and practiced in the class.
Grade 3 onward we have periodic and summative assessments too.
40. Do you follow grades or marks system?
Both as per the guidelines issued by the concerned education board.
41. Are involvements and achievements outside academics encouraged and supported?
42. If my child takes part in activities outside school regularly, how does the school tailor academics for him/her?
The school supports him/her by providing all details of the work done on a regular basis; explain and clear his/her doubts in relation to classes missed; this is done on working Saturdays or after school hours.
43. How can I keep track of my child’s progress?
We have an ERP App which can be downloaded on your phone wherein daily the work done in the class and the home work given is posted along with any special instructions. All communication is posted on the school ERP.
Parent Teacher Conferences are called at regular intervals (dates given in the Annual Calendar) and Coffee Chats in small groups are conducted twice a year wherein you get an opportunity to interact with the teachers of your ward, Coordinator and the Principal.
In addition, you can meet them for any specific purpose with prior appointment or write to them; contact details along with email ids are shared with all.
44. How do you handle academically weak students?
The teacher tries to understand the problem area.
She has a F2F meeting with the parents to know/understand the child better.
The student is given individualized attention according to his understanding level.
The student is also encouraged by applauding his/her improvements which motivates him to still do better.
Psychological analysis is also done where required after taking parents approval which supports our efforts.
45. How do you handle children with special needs?
We have special educators and counsellors on roll.
Where required we refer the students to them after consulting the parents.
A proper diagnosis is done and support provided.
We provide academic support and observations; also arrange for a shadow teacher where required after approval from the parents and the extra cost is borne by the parents.
Observations are conducted regularly and evaluation done at regular interval; the parents are kept updated about the progress of their child.
If the student needs special therapy or medication the parents are informed and references are given so that the parents can take a call.
46. Which sports facilities are available for students?
We have –